Today is another chapter in the very short Michigan vs Maryland football tradition. The teams have not played a lot, but when they do, Michigan usually comes out on top. Of course, when Maryland did win in 2014 it was very “upsetting” to Michigan fans! It’s time to take a closer look at the history behind this day and this series. It will be a very BIG game for both teams.
So far, the Wolverines have played a total of sixteen games on November 11th. The Wolverines own a record of 12 wins and 4 losses on this day. It works out to a winning percentage of exactly seventy-five percent. Michigan’s record in conference play is stellar since they have won ten of eleven games on November 11th. However, their non-conference record is not good, but all five out of conference games were played before 1917. Check out the numbers below:
|Type Game||# of Games||Won||Lost||Tied||Win %|
The Wolverines have only played six home games on this date and ten road games. Their home record is 5 wins and 1 loss. fortunately, Michigan’s road record on November 11th is also very good. They have won 7 games and lost just 3. The numbers on this page absolutely make the eleventh day in November a great day for Michigan Football! History is definitely on the side of our Maize and Blue football team today! Here is a little more history about Michigan Football on the eleventh day of November:
- Michigan’s first game, and first win, on this date took place in 1893. The Wolverines traveled to defeated Purdue by a score of 46-8.
- Michigan’s first loss on this day occurred in 1899 at Pennsylvania. The Quakers stopped the Wolverines by a score of 10-4.
- The Wolverines posted their biggest win on this date was a 59-14 win at Northwestern in 1978. This is also the biggest conference win that Michigan ever recorded on this day.
- The biggest Michigan loss was administered by the Minnesota Gophers who came to Ann Arbor and left with a 20-7 victory. This is also the biggest conference loss ever recorded on this day in Michigan Football history.
- Michigan won the last game they played on this day at Indiana in 2006. The Wolverines defeated the Hoosiers by a score of 34-3.
Michigan and Maryland have never played on this day. So, today’s game will be a first!
Notable Wolverine Performances on November 11th:
- 1950 – Wes Bradford rushed for 105 yards on 15 carries in a 20-7 victory over Indiana.
- 1961 – Bennie McRae turns 10 carries into 118 yards in a 38-6 win at Illinois.
- 1978 – Harlan Huckleby carries 23 times for 138 yards. Ralph Clayton grabs 5 passes for 122 yards. Michigan blows out Northwestern 59-14 in Evanston – ouch!
- 1989 – Tony Boles racks up 115 yards on 9 carries in a 24-10 victory at Illinois.
- 2000 – Anthony “A-Train” Thomas smashes over, around and through the Penn State defense for 171 yards and Michigan wins BIG (33-11) .
- 2005 – Marquise Walker scores on a 41-yard punt return in the 58-0 rout of Indiana.
- 2006 – Steve Breaston grabs 3 passes for 103 yards in a 34-3 win at Indiana.
Michigan vs Maryland Football Series History:
Today’s game is only the seventh game in the Michigan vs Maryland football series. This will be the fourth game that these Big Ten rivals have ever played in conference play.
The first edition of the Michigan vs Maryland football series took place in 1985 when the Terrapins visited Ann Arbor. The Wolverines played the role of rude hosts and sent the Terrapins home to ponder a 20-0 loss.
The first, and only time, that Maryland beat the Wolverines was on November 22, 2014 in Ann Arbor. Maryland won the first ever conference matchup by a score of 23-16 over Brady Hoke’s Wolverines. Ugh!
The biggest series win belongs to Michigan. Jim Harbaugh’s team blasted D.J. Durkin’s footballers by a score of 59-3 in 2016!
Once again, the trend lines, although short, all favor Michigan in this series. Maryland is an improving program, but they have not improved enough, yet, to compete with the Wolverines. Of course, healthy players would help the Terrapin cause today, but they have been decimated by injuries, especially at quarterback. It could be a long afternoon for Maryland today!
Michigan and Maryland have played six games so far. Check out the series numbers below:
|Type Game||# of Games||Won||Lost||Tied||Win %|
Notable Wolverine Performances – Michigan vs Maryland Football Series:
In addition to five wins over the Terrapins, Michigan players have had some BIG performances against Maryland. Here are some of the best Wolverine efforts against Maryland since 1985:
- September 28, 1985 – First ever meeting between Michigan and Maryland. Jim Harbaugh completed 16 of 20 passes for 196 yards and 2 touchdowns. Eric Kattus grabbed 6 Harbaugh passes for 81-yards and both touchdowns in a shutout win (20-0).
- September 30, 1989 – Michigan defeats Maryland for the second straight time 41-21. Tony Boles rushes for 89 yards and scores 2 touchdowns. Elvis Grbac competes 10 of 20 passes for 187-yards and 2 touchdowns. Greg McMurtry catches 5 passes for 126 yards and 1 touchdown.
- September 29, 1990 – The Wolverines continue to dominate the Terrapins with a 45-17 in Ann Arbor. Jon Vaughn leads the running game with 89-yards and scores 2 touchdowns. Elvis Grbac completed15 of 25 passes for 172 yards. He also threw 2 touchdown passes.
- November 22, 2014 – Matt Wile kicked 3 field goals, but Michigan ended up on the short end of a 16-23 score in the first ever Big Ten game between Michigan and Maryland.
- October 3, 2015 – Michigan wins the first ever road game against Maryland with an easy 28-0 victory. Jake Ruddock completes 16 of 32 passes for 180 yards and 1 touchdown.
- November 5, 2016 – Wolverines post their first “home’ Big Ten win over Maryland in a BIG 59-3 win. DeVeon Smith is the first Wolverine to rush for over 100-yards against Maryland with 114 yards. Smith leads the scoring parade with 3 touchdowns. Wilton Speight has his best game as a Wolverine. He completes 19 of 24 passes for 362-yards and 2 touchdowns.
So, some of Michigan’s best football players have had BIG days against Maryland. I expect that to continue today. The BIG question is: Who will do something memorable today against the Terrapins?
Michigan vs Maryland Football Today.
At this point in the 2017 season, Michigan (7-2 overall and 4-2 in the Big Ten) and Maryland (4-5 overall and 2-4 in the Big Ten) are looking to improve their standing in Big Ten play. Michigan has a very outside chance at winning the Eastern Division Championship, but a lot of things would have to go their way. Although that may not happen, the Wolverines are still in position to win 10 regular season games. They want to finish STRONG! Maryland must win 2 of their last 3 games to earn a second straight bowl win. Yes, both teams still have a lot to play for today.
As of this writing, Michigan is a sixteen and one-half point favorite and that is probably about right based on their performance so far. Maryland just doesn’t have enough healthy, or experienced, players to play a great game against the Wolverines. D. J. Durkin’s team will play hard and battle all the way. However, Maryland will be overmatched at almost every position on the field. I’m looking for the Wolverines to extend their current winning streak to three games when this one is over today.
I think the Wolverines will come out strong and score early and often. The defense will be suffocating. Maryland will struggle to get first downs, let alone touchdowns. However, they will get some late points against the subs. Michigan is averaging 27 points per game while allowing 17 points per contest. I think the Wolverines will do much better than that today. Michigan wins program game #943 today. Final score: 38-10. Go Blue!